Malachi Rempen: Jack of Trades

Saturday, February 14, 2009

"La Nina" Shoot Approaching

I'm trying feverishly to jam all the pieces of the La Nina del Desierto pre-production jigsaw puzzle together before our first day of rolling cameras next Friday. Here's a basic laundry list:

My producer, Matt Sullivan, drove up to LA today to secure location permits, he has to get in touch with a set teacher for Dani-Rose Gonzalez, who plays La Nina, I have rehearsals with all four main actors on Sunday, yesterday we just finished making two dead body double props, I'm weathering prop gloves and a cooler, we have to meet with Chapman University faculty on Monday and Tuesday, I have to schedule the shots with my DP, Boa Simon, we have to rent an equipment truck and a generator, I have to find a place to rent chairs, tables, and sun tents for less than $30 a day, I have to get the prop CB radios to function off a battery, and Boa has to find time to pick up our 35mm camera package and film from Kodak next week. Jesus.

A map of the Palmdale area with our filming locations and photos.

Half the time I'm more excited than I think I've ever been, and the other half I'm scared completely shitless. I guess that's what it means to make a movie!